Sunday, February 8, 2009

Candida and the Power of Green Superfoods

When I was having my 3 year stint with candida (and the beginnings of interstitial cystitis) it was not a fun time but I learned alot. At one point I was invited to go to a workshop where a woman who had healed her own breast cancer was speaking about the importance of PH balance. I didn't know much about it and I hadn't made the connection yet but it intrigued me and I went. Turned out it was really fascinating and made sense to me. Ph balance is more important than I thought. I guess you can think about it this way. Swimming pools, if we are not diligent about keeping track of the PH readings, will start to grow ugly nasty bacteria. So will our bodies. If we feed our bodies nothing but acidic foods and thoughts we will create an acidic environment. Yeast, candida, and even cancer cells change in relationship to their environment.

Since I was struggling with candida for so long I decided it would be a good idea to test my PH. I got some PH testing strips and tested my urine and to my horror I couldn't even see a reading! The lowest reading was 5.0 (a healthy body should show a reading around 6.5 - ultimately 7.3). I couldn't see a reading at all. I took it over and over. The saliva reading was somewhat better but I compared mine to others and it was significantly lower and more acidic. This blew me away because I juice everyday so I thought I had it covered. Obviously I didn't have it covered or else I would not have been struggling with candida for so long. I had already changed my diet, I was taking a good probiotic everyday and even using anti-fungals. I didn't think there was anything else I could do.

Well, I had heard and read about green superfoods like chlorella, spirulina, barley grass, wheat grass, oat grass and how they raise PH levels so I decided to experiment. I began by using chlorella and spirulina and then added others and kept track of my PH. It wasn't long (a few days) before I started to notice my interstitial cystitis symptoms fading away. I also noticed my candida symptoms becoming less and less noticable!

This was about a year ago and I have continued to do well. So I maintain a regimen of watching my food, taking a probiotic everyday (though occasionally I forget but it doesn't seem to matter) and I hardly ever seem to need the anti-fungal anymore. I put the green powder in my vegetable juice in the morning and I feel like I'm drinking a glass of "green vitality." It's awesome.

It seems, for me, that this has been the missing link to getting control of candida and interstitial cystitis.

Hi! My name is Diane. I'm a 52 year old single woman, passionate about wellness, healthy living, meditation, yoga, spirituality, and holistic remedies. Started out in life with many physical issues and a Grandfather (Dr. Samuel K. Hockings) who was a Naprapath, Chiropractor and an Aquarian Age Healer. Lucky for me he was more than willing to share his talent and wisdom with me for as long as he was able.

Just sharing my thoughts, stories, experiences, and suggestions. Hoping to learn, grow and maybe offer some help along the way. I am passionate about good food (organic if possible), juicing, probiotics and superfoods like Chlorella and Spirulina. I also try and find the best ways to be healthy while also being thrifty. Simplicity is also a passion of mine.

See my website: http://www.mylittlehealthshop.com